Maundy Thursday, also known as Holy Thursday, is the Christian feast or holy day falling on the Thursday before Easter that commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ with the Apostles as describe in the Canonical gospels.
During this day churches all over the country celebrate the Mass of the Last Supper in the evening. Afterwards, the Blessed Sacrament is enshrined in an Altar of Response or monument and churches remain open for the visita iglesia. Other people prefer doing the visita iglesia while the sun’s out though. They do this to see the lavish colonial in daylight.
One of the more common traditions during the Holy Week-the reading of religious texts or “pabasa” is still done during this day. Some go to colorful punis or pabasa stations in San Fernanado and Guagua to chant the pabasa as these places have a fiesta atmosphere.
There is also a ritual called Lamb of God wherein a lamb sculpture made out of mashed sweet potato (kamote) is the center of this practice.
The Philippines truly is a country of culture and religion. People from all walks of life come together, to celebrate this glorious feast.
(References: Wikipedia.org, ivanhenares.com)
Incoming search terms:
- powered by SMF walk for me wednesdays
- holy thursday activities in the philippines
- holy thursday activity
- maundy thursday activities
- activities during maundy thursday
- powered by SMF 2 0 rituals of hinduism
- Powered by Article Dashboard museum of science in boston ma
- maundy thursday in the philippines
- maundy thursday activities philippines
- maundy Thursday activities in the Philippines
- maundy thursday activities in philippines
- holy thursday activity philippine culture
- activity for maundy thursday
- where to go for maundy thursday in the philippines